My buddy Bill K. forwarded me an email a couple months ago from “The Clymb” company that had some discounted trips in it.  I glanced at it a few times and somewhat last minute, decided to do a package deal of a 6 day climb of Kilimanjaro and then 3 one-day safaris.  The guide company was One World Safari in Tanzania.

I won’t bore you with endless emails but will give a quick summary in this email and then send a few more pictures and details in a couple more emails.
 I flew out of Boston on Nov 16th and arrived in Tanzania, Africa on Nov 17th.  Roughly a 24 hour trip from the time I left my house to arriving at the hotel in Arusha, Tanzania.  I flew in a day early to rest and make sure my climbing and hiking gear made it.  I met up with Zoe and Kelly (photo below) who flew in a day later.  The first day we walked around Arusha a while but were constantly asked by the locals to buy stuff.  We kind of gave up and went back to the hotel after stopping for an excellent meal at The Blue Heron pictured below.
On Sat, Nov 19th we met the guides and also met Elly and her mom Kathee who would be joining us for the climb of Kilimanjaro.  Below is a picture of us all on Sunday, Nov 20th just before the bus picked us up.
After a couple hour bus ride, we arrived at the Machame Gate to Kilimanjaro Park  This would be our starting point.  Behind me in the picture below you can see a list of some of the camping areas on the mountain.  After summiting, we climbed down and left via the Mweka gate.
Our 3 guides (left to right below) were Naftal, Frank and Barnaba.  These guys were great and were a big reason we were all successful in summiting the mountain.
In addition to the 3 guides, we had 18 porters to assist the team.  Below is a picture of most of us on the last day before we climbed down.  Having a team of this size was unlike any other trip I have done and it was a bit strange.  Generally we carried day packs for most of the climb while the porters carried the rest of our gear, all the team gear such as tents, food, etc.  I carried all my own gear the first two days and then dropped down to a smaller pack for the rest of the climb.
 Here is a picture of me on the summit.  We were all pretty exhausted and cold by the time we summited which I will explain in another email.
After the climb, we went back to Arusha and then Zoe, Kelly and I had 3 safaris.  The first day was to Tarangire Park, the second day to the Ngorongoro Crater and the last day was to Lake Manyara.
Next Page